About Us‎ > ‎

Our History

  In the mid 1950’s, the town of Dundas had a population of 15,000 people, but the potential for growth was evident along the Highway #99 corridor to the West. With this in mind, Hamilton Presbytery purchased a lot in Dundas, bounded by Governor’s Road, Creighton Road and  Lynndale Drive.
  
  Presbytery asked St. Paul’s United Church to assess the need for a second United Church in the area. A committee was formed of Britt Curry, Alvin Hambly, D’Arcy Lee, Hugh Campbell and Burleigh Warren. They hired a divinity student to do a door to door canvas of Highland Hills, Central Park, and the Governor’s Road area. The survey results were encouraging. 
  • On September 15, 1957, 137 people attended the first worship service, conducted by Keith Hawkes, at Central Park School.

  • December 15, 1957 was set as Charter Day, and the new church was officially named “St. Mark’s United Church on Governor’s Road”.

  • Sunday services were held in Central Park School for an additional two years, while the congregation met mid week in various homes, and formed lasting friendships.

  • 26 women attended the first meeting of the Women’s Federation, which later became the United Church Women, on January 7, 1962.

  • The Rev. Alfred McAlister was called to be the first minister, and he conducted the first worship service on August 10, 1958.

  • Under his energetic leadership a manse was built in 1959, at 68 Mayfair Crescent and the plans for the new church were approved on September 30, 1959. 
  • Three additional residential lots were purchased by the congregation along Lynndale Drive for off street parking
  • On May 16. 1960 the sod was turned on the church site, and almost a year later, on May 14, 1961 the new church building was opened for service, and dedicated. The congregation marched from the Central Park school, to the new church, led by the Salvation Army band. 
  • The new building was fully utilized by the Sunday School, Couples Club, choirs, Elders, Stewards, United Church Women, Cubs and Scouts, Explorers and C.G.I.T

  • St.Mark’s Co-Op Nursery School was established in 1962 with 60 children of pre-school age enrolled. Two full time teachers were hired, and mothers participated as required to complement the supervision.

  • Happy and rewarding years passed, and in January 1965 the Rev. Alfred McAlister and family left to serve another pastoral  charge in  Woodstock,  and  St. Mark’s began a search for his successor. 
      Over the next 45 years the congregation was served by six ministers, each bringing his own talents for pastoral care and leadership. The church mortgage was paid off, and later the manse was sold. Recently, extensive renovations were made to the building, including an accessible washroom, removal of some pews, and an elevator installed between floors, to accommodate those with mobility challenges.

        Currently, St. Mark’s is being served by a team ministry led by the Rev. Alison Mock. Emphasis is placed on service to the community as well as pastoral care through established ministries. Social events and music have played a big roll in attracting younger families, who are always welcomed to this “Church of the Open Door”.